Friday, May 22, 2009

Forgetting our thirties...

This book dug under my ribs. I'd put an exclamation mark here - except I'm not sure it was a pleasant feeling! (There! That thought can have one!) Alice has had a head injury and wakes up thinking she is girlishly 29, happily married and expecting her first baby. In reality she is 39, getting divorced, has three children and has turned into a Stepford wife. Its territory I have been travelling in my minds murk. How does one keep one's girlishness alive against the demands of life? I guess at twenty nine Pascale was a baby and Kris and I were newly married. Thirty-nine was that challenging year after the broken engagement. Maybe this why this book has left me a little melancholy. Still I think some people do get nicer as they (we?) get older. The odd disappointment or two makes us more compassionate, having children more generous.

I loved Liane Moriarity's The Last Anniversary. It was so whimsical and quirky (but honest enough not to be completely fluffy) and I was hoping for more of the same with this one. But although it had some quirk (I loved the blogging granny broadcasting the family secrets online and that when Alice loses her memory she starts raiding her daughter's dress up box),the ending was a little fluffy and unbelievable. Of course, perhaps that is the point. Although I think no-one has their happy endings all at the same time, its a squiggly graph like the ABC logo and even feel good books feel better when they are true to this, other wise it feels like a lie and makes you feel worse!

No comments: