Friday, May 1, 2009

Through the Looking Glass of Sexual Awakening


I have been too scatty to read lately, so this morning I gave myself the pleasure of finishing this book curled up on the couch with a coffee before life intervened. Actually I read with a sense of urgency as I was somewhat worried about Lily the main character, as it was looking risky for her. (Actually I had checked to see her name on the final page, I am a narrative cheat!)

The book drew me in my its seductive descriptions of Lily's attraction to Ed an artist painting in the street. I liked the descriptions of their erotic world very much - it was understated and honest. There was a surreal quality to the book, at one point in the narrative I wondered whether the strange events were occurring only in Lily's consciousness.
The enchantment of Lily occurs on a number of levels: she enchants others - her ex Hank and the disturbed Martin - and Ed and the creative life - in Lily's case acting - enchants her. In particular her performance of Hermia in a Midsummer Nights Dream, creates a sense of new confidence and possibilities for her, as an artist and as a woman with sexual agency. I liked the interpretation offered of Hermia in this book as a "tough broad". I've always thought of her as a whiny princess, used to having it her own way!

I also loved Lily's relationship with an old older woman Mabel. There's a moment towards the ending of the novel where they escape to bed, surrounded by books.

The book is an interpretation of the Alice in Wonderland quest, where the quest is sexual identity, a confident and in-control womanliness. (Maybe that's what Freud would make of all those holes anyway). I liked it!

No comments: